This log home was built by an early Rochester settler, William Dee. Irish immigrant William and his wife Bridget built this cabin in 1862. Their first child was born in the cabin the night they first occupied it.
The cabin is made using poplar logs. With the help of 25 men, the cabin was built in just one day. It was first located in Rochester on 6th Street SW near 4th and is typical of an early settler’s home. The last person to live here was Anna Benson Ward, who rented the cabin for $3 per month from 1907 to 1911.
The Dee Cabin has been moved six times over the years, including the move to its current home on the campus of the History Center. It is open seasonally as part of the regular museum tour and also for special events, such as school tours, etc. During selected special events and programs, it is the location of pioneer demonstrations. The cabin has been preserved by the Daughters of the American Revolution(DAR) and the History Center of Olmsted County.
Thanks to a grant from the National DAR and our local philanthropic community, the cabin had several logs replaced and was re-chinked in 2011.
William Dee Cabin
Support the History Center of Olmsted County with your time and talents